Introducing The SEMA Garage
The CHARIOTZ team recently visited the SEMA Garage to learn more about the facility and interview the team that manages it, including Mike Spagnola, VP of Product Development at SEMA. The SEMA Garage is a one-of-a-kind product design and development facility built for the benefit of SEMA member companies.
About the SEMA Garage
Each year, SEMA members introduce thousands of cutting-edge tools and accessories designed to add enjoyment to vehicle ownership. While some have universal fitments, many have model-specific applications that require significantly more research and development.
The SEMA Garage gives SEMA member businesses access to the special high-tech tools and equipment they need to get their products — whether a $10 set of replacement wiper blades or a $10,000 engine modification — off the drawing board and into customer hands. It is the only known facility of its kind in the United States.
Covering 15,000 square feet and filled with nearly $2 million of equipment, the SEMA Garage includes all the tools specialty product developers could hope for and then some, including two vehicle lifts, a portable coordinate measuring machine (CMM) for 3D scanning, a 3D printer for fast prototyping, digital race car scales for the most precise vehicle weight measurements, a dynamometer for power output measurements and more.
Services offered at the SEMA Garage
- Tech Transfer: OEM provided CAD files to minimize or eliminate the necessity for reverse engineering.
- Custom Scanning Services: Offering state-of-the-art FaroArm/CMM scanning system, requires SEMA Membership.
- 3D Printing: Rapid prototyping using cutting-edge technology to create a physical model of your product.
- Measuring Session: Timely measuring sessions provide hands-on access to new vehicles for designing, and developing prototypes.
- Emissions Lab: Temperature controlled emissions lab offers service and guidance to get your product certified.
- Training Center: Host an impressive product or reveal or conduct a full training session for your new product.
- Photography Studio: Features a fully equipped product cove with infinity walls and an adjustable overhead lighting setup.
- Installation Center: Fully equipped center for test-fitting product prototypes or installing components on a project vehicle.
- Vehicle Dynamics: Ensure your products and modifications can be successfully integrated with the latest and emerging vehicle dynamics technologies and comply with federal motor vehicle safety regulations.
- Vehicle Electronics: Integrate your products with the latest automotive and consumer electronics technologies and leverage emerging opportunities with connected vehicles.
- Vehicle Technology Alerts: Provide members the latest information about advanced vehicle technologies and regulations impacting their products and businesses.
The SEMA Garage was built for the benefit of its members. It is meant to be a one-stop shop for the design and development of products that are then offered by the member companies to automotive enthusiasts around the world. The SEMA Garage team invites SEMA members to take advantage of this world class center today!